List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Feature plan 3.1 libkabc
From:       André Somers <a.t.somers () student ! utwente ! nl>
Date:       2002-06-13 10:23:31

Citeren Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher@kde.org>:

> > - Add LDAP resource
> I think we still don't have agreed on how to do this in the best way, but it
> would be very desirable to have this as part of libkabc.

Maybe we could think about defining some properties that recourses can have,
that together describe it's capabilities, and making sure these capabilities
are properly used of course. An LDAP resource for instance can not provide a
list of contact like the standard resource can (or it must be the searchresult
of the last search), but it has extensive search capabilities. A flat-file
backend might have limited search capabilities, but would be able to support
retreiving of the complete list of contacts. An SQL backend might do both.
I think we need to find a set of ortogonal properties that each resource can
have, and give each resource a method that tells libkabc which of these
properties this resource supports.

A few such properties could be:
-providesFullList (yes/no)
-canSearch (may need some additional options to define to what extend)
-SupportsCategories
-Read/Write access
-accessrights/needs logon
-etc?

Libkabc and KAddressbook should be able to use each resource according to its
capabilities.

André