List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Addressbook - link to advance contacts ?
From:       Don Sanders <sanders () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-06-12 6:24:06

Hmm. I'm a kde-pim guy. I wrote the initial version of KAddressBook. I
think the KAddressBook scalability criticism is valid.

I'm also a KMail guy. I've argued that multiple address book frontends
and even backends can make sense. In KDE2 KMail supported three
different address books and I wrote the KMail code to support that.

But those three address books were all KDE addressbooks in the sense
that the code for them was in cvs, and the authors were trying to
work together and create KDE standards.

If a had more time perhaps I could work on a mutually acceptable
solution. I really would like to do that. But my feeling is that you
would have been better off contributing to KAddressBook or kabc
making them scalable. Or alternative you could try to create some
kind of (desktop independent?) addressbook standard.

I think your chance of obtaining an outcome that you are happy with is
slim unless you can find some solution that is beneficial for KDE as
well as yourself.

Don.

On Wednesday 12 June 2002 04:55, Bryan Brunton wrote:
> No, you miss the point.  Who said KDE was only about supporting KDE
> applications?  This is almost like a conversation with Microsoft:
>
> Q: "Bill, how do I replace Internet Explorer?"
> A: "Sorry, that isn't technically possible.  Doing so would destroy
> the operating system."
>
> Alternately:
>
> Q: "How do I invoke an addressbook that isn't KAddressBook from a
> KDE application?" A: "Sorry that isn't technically possible.  If
> you want to do that, you will need to write a few thousands lines
> of code and use our libkabc library.  We could provide a simple
> invokeAddressBook method, but we choose not to do that because we
> can."
>
> Of course KAddressBook doesn't suit my needs.  I don't think its a
> very good application: it doesn't scale and it isn't multi-user.
> That's why I wrote Advance.
>
> All I am looking for is some middle ground here.  Perhaps, the
> Kmail guys will be more open to inter-operability with alternatives
> to KAddressBook.
>
> << You miss the point. KDE is a desktop environment and one of its
> main points is to share code and services across applications. We
> had the situation that different apps used different addressbook
> backends, so that data wasn't sharable. Now that we have overcome
> this bad situation we will not go back.
>
> If you think KAddressBook doesn't fit your needs, feel free to
> provide an alternative, but please use the common KDE lib as
> backend so that all other apps can use the data.>>

Don Sanders