List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] KPIM Workspace
From:       Bryan Brunton <bryanbrun () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2002-06-10 17:45:38

Where I work, they are must have features.  Security is a must.  Without a security model the
current kde-pim is like Windows 9X.  In any non-trivial multi-user setting, you want to be able to
define who can create/edit/delete things.  You want to be able to set up folders that only certain
users can see.

With shared folders of documents/tasks/notes, managers can do things like set up a number of
folders that are devoted to a particular project for team members.  Only the team members can then
view that subset of folders.

<< You'r the first person, that told me benefits of a "PIM-shell". But
those are
by sure no must have features...>>

I was joking about dumping the current code base and using Advance.  If you want single user PIM
then kde-pim is great for that.  For example, there are scalability issues with the flat file
approach that kde-pim uses.  Saving 1000 contacts to one large vCard file isn't a good idea; its
difficult to search/insert/update to that file, especially in multi-user environment.

<< Makeing KParts of all kdepim-applications and glueing them together
in
"kaplan" would be much faster, then implementing all those features
in
Advance I'd say. >>