List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] KPIM Workspace
From:       Robert Floyd <r.floyd3 () verizon ! net>
Date:       2002-06-09 21:35:30

On Sat, 2002-06-08 at 22:01, Guenter Schwann wrote:

> > I do not want to rnt around. But maybe somebody can explain the usability
> > advantage of the approach? I  did not find this discussion in the previous
> > thread.
>
> There is only one advantage:
> Many Windows-users are used to it. And they don't want to give something
> different a chance (maybe because it took them so long to understand it).
> That's one of the things I learned at Linuxtag while speaking with the
> visitors.

With respect to all involved in this thread, there are very good
reasons, ergonomic and otherwise, to want an integrated email/address
book/PIM application, but, for me, it all comes down to one thing: I
want email to work the way I do.

Before I used computers, I had a notebook (Day-Timer) that kept my
calendar, my contacts (address book), my to-do list and my expenses in
one location. It made it easier for me to plan my day, week and month.
If I had to keep up with three different books, my life would be chaos.

Enter the computer. Now, I can keep all the important information in one
location (my hard drive). But I still need to bring it all together.
Here's my typical work day:

I come into the office and check my email. In my email are several
meeting requests. I click a button and see if there's a conflict on my
calendar. Then I accept or reject and send the reply in an email. Next,
I check my list of to-dos to see what needs to be done today. I keep my
email application running all day at work. At the end of the day, I put
my Palm in its cradle and sync, so I'll have all the information with me
at home.

Could I do this with three different programs? Yes, but why should I?
Over a day, the extra time involved keeping up with multiple programs is
significant.

Should this be done with a single application? Probably not. At work, we
have to use Outlook, so I'm well aware of the pain it inflicts. However,
it does have the concept (an integrated desktop) down right.

Personally, I'd like to see a wrapper program that could tie a mail
client, address book and project planning tool together in a relatively
seamless manner. Today (3.0.1), KAB integration with KMail is not ready
for everyday office use. The inability to make easy use of categories,
as well as the inability to assign multiple contacts to a single
category simulataneously, make it almost impossible for me to use. From
what I've been reading, 3.1 should eliminate many of my objections.

When designing applications, keep in mind that, for most people,
computers are a means to an end, not the end itself. They want it to be
as easy to use as any other office machine (telephone, copier, fax
machine). And, human nature being what it is, people will tend to select
ease of use over robustness/security if they have to pick one.

I belive Linux/KDE offers a strong opportunity to combine ease of use
with robustness/security. I look forward to seeing the advances that
come, but ask you to consider the needs of the ordinary (non-geek) user
that projects like the KDE desktop are targeting.

Comments, criticisms, flames, slings and arrows are welcome,
Robert Floyd
Durham, NC  USA