List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Configurable resource
From:       Tobias Koenig <tokoe82 () yahoo ! de>
Date:       2002-06-04 16:51:00

On Mon, Jun 03, 2002 at 03:06:13PM +0200, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> On Sunday 02 June 2002 10:58, Tobias Koenig wrote:
> >
> > What should be returned instead? A filename is wrong, because when
> > using a sql backend there is no filename. The name of the writeable
> > resource also lacks, since this resource could be changed in the
> > meantime.
>
> For a file based addressbook the filename seems to be ok. For a sql
> backend you could use the name of the server plus the name of the
> database. The identifier function should probably be moved to the
> resources and the addressbook identifier function could then return a
> concatenation of identifiers of its resources.
Ok, sounds logical. Will implement it tomorrow evening at LinuxTag in
Karlsruhe :)

> > > What happens, when the addressbook is switched from one resource to
> > > the other? Is the addressbook data automatically converted?
> >
> > No, since you can't switch between them, during executing e.g.
> > kaddressbook.
>
> That means changing resources becomes effective with restart of apps
> using the addressbooks. There should probably be a warning dialog in
> the control module to inform the user about this behaviour. Or is there
> already such a dialog?
No, will also take a look at it...

> > In the ctor of StdAddressBook the resources are loaded. The first
> > resource, that is added by addResource() is the 'writeable' resource.
> > So all new entries will append to this resource. All following
> > resources are readonly. There entries will be added to AddressBook,
> > but when syncing the addressbook, there will be no changes to the
> > readonly resources.
>
> That sound reasonable. Does KAddressBook already support read-only
> entries?
Yes, see other mail

> Yes, but conversion of data from different backends should be done
> transparently in the background. If the user switches backends the
> addressbook data should appear in exactly the same way in KAddressBook
> as before.
Hmm, at the moment all entries of the addressbook can be assigned to a
resource be the Addressee::resource() methode. It either returns a
pointer to the resource, where the addressee is loaded from, or it returns
0, that means the user created this addressee in this session.

Changing the resource would mean:
	- get pointers to all StdAddressBook objects existing for the user
	  (difficult)
	- reassign resource pointers to the several addressees
	  (no problem, I think)

Cornelius, will you be at LinuxTag? Then we could discuss it a bit better
than via email (and in german language ;))

Ciao,
Tobias
--
In a world without walls and fences who