List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] gnomecard vs. kaddressbook (addresseeeditordialog)
From:       Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-05-22 12:06:25

On Tuesday 21 May 2002 15:50, Tobias Koenig wrote:
> On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 01:48:53PM +0200, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> >
> > The problem with tabs is that you need an extra click if the control
> > isn't on the current tab.
>
> Isn't it a bit sensless to measure useability with the count of mouse
> clicks? When selecting the tabs would be an action you have to do 10 times
> the minute I would fully agree with you, but we talk about making a new
> entry or change an entry (that happens maybe 10 times the week).

How easy it is to access the information you want to access is an important
aspect of usability and each mouse click takes time, needs the user to move
the hand and to concentrate on hitting a certain point on the screen. This
all makes it more difficult, so if you can avoid it it's better.

Don't forget that the editor dialog is also used to view the complete
information belonging to an entry. This is something which might require you
changing tabs 10 times the minute.

> Oversightness should have a bigger influence on such a 'lesser' used dialog
> than mouse speed :)

It's not a lesser used dialog. It's the central and most used dialog of
KAddressBook. It should be well structured and its information and controls
should be accessible as good as possible. Each tab hides all others, that
means the more tabs you have the less information you show. So if there is a
way to use less tabs it's better. I agree that some tabs are necessary and
that the individual tabs shouldn't be too complex, but your proposal just had
to many tabs ;-)

> > When you have many tabs as in your example and the size of
> > the dialog isn't sufficient you even need more clicks to scroll to the
> > tab before you can click it. That's very annoying.
>
> That shouldn't be a real problem, because we can resize the dialog when
> exec()ing it.

If the number of tabs is the criterium specifying the minimum size of the
dialog, there is something wrong.

> Maybe we will add some more input fields in future, and then the Details
> tab will look really ugly.

Then we can still introduce additional tabs.

--
Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher.kde.org>