List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Honor KDE single click setting
From:       Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-05-20 12:16:45

On Sunday 19 May 2002 10:01, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> some differences between the list of names in the address book and
> the files in konqueror:
>
>  o you can select a file in konqi as opposed to open it using the
> LMB, in kaddrbook there is no way to "only select"

Sure there is. At least in the table view you can select entries with
the LMB, including selection of multiple entries with ctrl and shift.
This makes perfectly sense for selecting receivers of a mail or
deleting entries.

>  o a file listing is a set of names/icons representing the data
> within them, in kaddrbook the listing is actual, useful information

I don't think there is a big difference. A file listing shows some
information about a file and in preview mode even parts of its
contents. That's the same what the kaddressbook views do, showing
information about an entry with some preview information. As extreme
case the listing alread shows the full information of the entry, but
that's also the case in Konqueror when for example showing icons with
image previes enabled.

> perhaps what would make more sense and keep the single-clickers happy
> is a mode that shows the details dialog to the right or below the
> list, much like the message listing / view in kmail. it could be off
> by default to keep the current UI in tact, on optionaly for those
> with single click needs and high-resolutions, and double clicking
> would be available to both to open the details dialog in its own
> winow?

We already have the modes showing the details in addition to the list,
the "quick edit" does that and the "detailed view" implements it in a
read-only fashion.

I would also vote for dropping the "single-click opens editor" mode.