List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Printing Code in kaddressbook
From:       Anders Lund <anders () alweb ! dk>
Date:       2002-05-19 22:06:21

On Saturday 18 May 2002 16:43, Mirko Boehm wrote:
> PS:
> > Now, don't take this bad, but using designer is usually not yelding good
> > results when coding kde apps. You loose kde compliance by doing it, apart
> > from the downsides as to building. I use designer as a sketch pad, but
> > when it comes to distributing code, esp for kde modules, I do think
> > "real" code - inheriting from the nice kde classes - is preferable.
>
> I do not agree :-) You need to use the designer for what it is intended for
> - creating widgets. You may, for example, create a nice widget with
> designer and add it to a KDialogBase object to create a perfectly KDE
> compliant dialog without the hazzle of geometry management etc. When
> changing to hand-knit code later on, you loose the advantage of quick
> layout changes etc.
>
> But this is just my personal opinion.

Well, I have to get back with this one.

You don't do that, the printing wizard is of class QWizard, which is /not/ kde
compliant. There is a class KWizard which ensures the buttons gets the
correct order according to the style chosen by the user.

Additionally the wizard has a "random" size - not defined by the actual
contents, and the margin and spacing sizes used by the present page are hard
coded, chosen by qt designer instead of using KDialog::marginHint() and
KDialog::spacingHint() as they should.

Yes, it is a bit more difficult to code oyur widgets by hand, but I maintain
that it yelds better results.

-anders