List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Distibution List Editor
From:       Mike Pilone <mpilone () slac ! com>
Date:       2002-05-16 15:13:00

On Thursday 16 May 2002 10:27 am, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> I sent a reply on Tuesday. I would be interested in what you didn't like
> about the old widget. It is missing the dialog part, but what's wrong
> with the actual widget?

When I started I didn't like the vertical layout, since it didn't match any
other widget in KDE. This was fixed while I was making my patch into a
horizontal layout, which is definately an improvement.

However, I feel like problems still exist with the new layout:
- The  two lists have no indication of what they are. A user must make the
assumption that one list is available and one is selected.
- The 'Add Entry' button is under the available list. This implies that
adding effects that list, but infact pressing that button removes the entry
from the available list and adds it to the other list (which again isn't
labeled). The same can be said for remove entry, accept it actually removes
the entry from the list (adding a new one to the other list).
- I don't understand the 'Preferred Email' column. I presume that is to show
the user if he/she is using the receiver's preferred email. A bug also
exists that the preferred email label is not updated if I change the email
address, then change it back to the preferred email address.
- There is a bug that a email address is not selected when the user clicks
the 'Change Email' button.
- I do not like the fact that there is no full list of which dist lists I
have already defined. I need to keep opening the combo box to remember
which list I already assembled.
- There is a bug on bugs.kde.org saying that dist lists cannot be renamed.
This is because the dialog doesn't provide it.
- There is no Ok, Cancel or Apply button (standard KDE dialog buttons).
- I do not like large amounts of text on a button that could be represented
with a standard icon and a tool tip.
- Removing a list causes the dialog to crash (testdistlist). I think this is
something new, however.

Of course a lot of these are getting overly picky, but I just feel like the
dialog doesn't look or behave like any other dialog in KDE. The task isn't
much different than any other in KDE (selecting items from a list) so I
don't know why the dialog has a different look & feel. Some of the items
are just bugs, which can definately be fixed (most pretty easily).

Overall I think it is usable (especially with the new horizontal layout),
but not optimal. From the problems you pointed out, I don't know if my
dialog was actually any better. This might be something to throw towards
the kde usability team and see if they can suggest something.

-mike

--
Mike Pilone <mpilone@slac.com>        http://www.slac.com/mpilone/personal/
GPG Fingerprint = 856C 8B36 ECF7 9156 4611  7C6B C265 05C4 162F C3B5

See http://www.slac.com/mpilone/personal/mpilone_pub_key.gpg for full key.
See http://www.gnupg.org for GPG information.