List:       kde-pim
Subject:    [Kde-pim] KAddressBook Import, Export and DnD
From:       Mike Pilone <mpilone () slac ! com>
Date:       2002-05-09 21:31:05

Folks,

It looks like importing and exporting with reguards to KAddressBook is in
pretty bad shape. The bug tracker currently only has 18 bugs in it, however
12 of them are related to import and export.

The bugs are:
CSV: 41615, 41564, 38217, 33738, 33720
Kab2: 42207, 41969, 41397, 40406
General: 37559, 37558, 31832

One of the major problems is with the csv importing. I attempted to follow
up on bug 41615 (a crash), but I found trying to work with more than a few
lines in a csv file to be unreasonable. Trying to load a 1000 line file
takes a _really_ long time (~15 minutes). Then each time I change an option
it reloads! We definately need to put some effort into getting importing
and exporting up to speed before 3.1 or we will be flooded with bug
reports. Maybe a wizard to replace the complex csv dialog.

Also, there are a few wishlist items reguarding vcard import and export. Is
there any work happening on the vcard parser/generator? We said that using
vCard as the native DnD format would be great, but we need the parser and
generator. Also, is there any chance that KMail would be able to implement
DnD using vcards before 3.1? If not, kaddressbook definately shouldn't
switch and we should choose a common implementation (email addresses?).

All and all I think we are doing great. We are down to only 11 outstanding
wishes in bugtracker and most of them are either printing, ldap, or new
import/export filters.

Thanks,
-mike

--
Mike Pilone <mpilone@slac.com>        http://www.slac.com/mpilone/personal/
GPG Fingerprint = 856C 8B36 ECF7 9156 4611  7C6B C265 05C4 162F C3B5

See http://www.slac.com/mpilone/personal/mpilone_pub_key.gpg for full key.
See http://www.gnupg.org for GPG information.