List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] KDateEdit RFC
From:       Mike Pilone <mpilone () slac ! com>
Date:       2002-05-06 14:44:40

On Monday 06 May 2002 10:07 am, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> KLocale has functions for parsing the date, so it doesn't require much
> code to make the line edit writable. I think making it write-only would
> be annoying for users usually not using the date picker but directly
> typing the date.

That sounds good. I didn't realize klocale could parse the date.

> A nice addition would be, if the date edit would accept inputs like
> "tomorrow", "monday" and automatically would insert the corresponding
> date.

Sure, this would be a neat (unique?) feature.

> This seems to be a good analogy. Does that also mean that we agree that
> spin boxes are not the appropriate control for putting in dates?

I think so. The only way it makes sense is to have 3 of them, for month,
day, year, but then you are wasting a lot of space with up and down
buttons. The other option is to have one set of up/down buttons and the
user click the value they want to change. I saw this someplace (I think in
KDE), but I can't remember where. IMHO this is a little confusing since it
requires knowing that you must click the field you want to edit, plus it
doesn't support the nifty 'tomorrow' idea ;)
I think having the edit update once it looses focus is enough to show the
user if the date was accepted (ie valid) or not.

I'll try to implement something in the next day or so that includes the
above. I think korg does it similar to this already, so I will probably
just steal some of the code.

-mike

--
Mike Pilone <mpilone@slac.com>        http://www.slac.com/mpilone/personal/
GPG Fingerprint = 856C 8B36 ECF7 9156 4611  7C6B C265 05C4 162F C3B5

See http://www.slac.com/mpilone/personal/mpilone_pub_key.gpg for full key.
See http://www.gnupg.org for GPG information.