List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Teaming (aka Mentorship)
From:       tech () bishop ! dhs ! org
Date:       2002-04-25 5:20:48

On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 09:26:56PM -0400, Mike Pilone wrote:
> Tim,
>
> I think what you are saying is very true. Joining a project as large as KDE
> can be very intimidating. I think mentoring is a great idea, but I am not
> sure if it is something that we can do on a 1-1 basis. I think your best
> bet is to find a small group to work with.

Might I suggest using kde-devel as a place to ask newbie-style
questions? I've found the devs over there to be fairly friendly, and
very responsive, as long as you give them context (i.e., state that you
are a newbie programmer, and they'll go much easier on you ).
Alternatively, the #kde chan on opn is available, but that tends to be
spotty (depends wildly on who is online at the moment, and if they are
bored or not, etc).

> Most KDE programmers are just volunteers, so they may not have the time to
> help new-comers, or if they start with a new-comer, they may quickly find
> that there schedule changes, stranding the 'apprentice'.

This would *definetly* be a problem...

> By finding a small group of mentors, I think you will find it easier to get
> questions answered and have a better chance of getting support in the long
> term. You already took the right step by choosing kde-pim ;) Seriously
> though, just choosing this branch of KDE has already limited the gaint size
> of KDE. Next, you might want to find a single application or library that
> interests you. Watch the list for a while and get to know the people
> involved in each application. Also, don't be afraid to post to the list and
> ask questions, about current code, patches, or anything else concerning KDE
> development. If someone has the time and the answers, you'll get a reply.

This is probably the best suggestion.  Pick one small app that you would
like to use, but has a bug, and fix it.  In my case, I "fixed" kpilot's
UI :-P  Of course, it's mostly changed by now, but that was my
foot-in-the-door.

As for the people on this list, that's easy. Pilone is a nice guy, though
kinda wordy in his emails (he's overcompensating, trying not to step on
Cornelius'es toes).  Anders is always good 1) a good idea (+ code!) and
2) a mention of his work on kate ;-).  Adriaan is the goofiest man alive.
Cornelius is the "godfather" of the group, being levelheaded and whatnot
(read: I think he's about 50).  Sanders is Schumacher's twin brother
(they were seperated at birth).  And I'm the iterant newbie coder/smart
alec B-)  Oh, almost forgot Reinhardt.  He's your basic starry-eyed
"I'm-gonna-take-over-the-world" guy that implements cool stuff (but only
on weekends).  Apologies to anyone I missed* B)

> There is no better way to learn than to try to develop some stuff. Submit
> patches to the list, and people will rip them apart :) Over time you will
> know what to do and what not to do in a patch. As I have learned over the
> past month, once you show that you understand the concepts and design of an
> application, things get easier, both in terms of developing and working
> with the community.

And then make sure when they accept your patch, that they actually apply
it to the right branch! (This is not directed at anyone in particular
*cough*adriaan*cough*)

> So, I would suggest watching the list for a while, asking questions, and
> choosing a project or task that interests you. Work on some code, and
> submit patches for review. You can even say that the patch isn't very good
> and you just want advice! Use the entire group of developers as your
> mentor, and start writing code ;)

This worked for me (esp. the "not very good" part).  I am now
comfortable doing small patches for functionality that is nice, but not
critical.  I wish I had more time, but work has been interfering again
:(  Daggon that paycheck, anyways...

<snip>

The only other advice I'd give is to read the CVS Book (I put it on my
handspring, and read it on the can for a week).  That will help clarify
a lot of things.  Then, cvs will make your patches for you! Suh-weet...

*Please, don't anyone take offense, I love you all :-)

-D.A.Bishop