List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] reminder/alarm
From:       Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-03-30 0:13:18

On Saturday 30 March 2002 00:02, David Bishop wrote:

> On Friday 29 March 2002 2:58 pm, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> > On Friday 29 March 2002 22:23, David Bishop wrote:
> > > Hey, setting up an appointment, I clicked "reminder", and
> > > selected an external program to run (/usr/local/bin/page).
> > > However, I need to pass page command-line arguments (syntax: page
> > > dbishop "insert line(s) of text here"). However, I see no obvious
> > > way to do that within the gui, and simply typing
> > > '/usr/local/bin/page dbishop "meeting is now" ' into the file
> > > selection dialogue doesn't work. Any ideas?  I would hate to have
> > > to write a script to page me, and I would also like to pass in
> > > the text of the meeting (i.e., page dbishop %s).
> >
> > Passing command-line arguments isn't implemented yet, but it
> > shouldn't be too difficult to add that. Are you interested in
> > helping with the implementation?
>
> Yes.  Let me take this weekend to (finally!) finish up the xml stuff,
> and I'll take on the command-line arg next week.  As usual,
> pointers/hints/tips/ prototype_code/mostly_complete_implementation
> are all very welcome ;-)

The relevant code is in kdepim/kalarm/alarmdialog.cpp. Have a look at
the function AlarmDialog::eventNotification(). You have the event with
the data and just have to pass arguments of the configured command
individually to the KProcess object, replacing symbols with actual data
from the event.

I like your suggestion of using symbols like %s for summary etc. Would
be nice to also have symbols for the start/end date, the description
and maybe some other fields.

> I'll just add this to my todo, make a reminder, have it page me on
> mon... Doh!

In this case I can send you a special manually created reminder mail, if
it helps getting this feature implemented ;-)