List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] About non-gregorian calendar systems
From:       Viktor Rosenfeld <rosenfel () informatik ! hu-berlin ! de>
Date:       2002-02-26 1:06:53

Cornelius Schumacher wrote:

> Now to the technical problems: I don't think that it helps very much to
> implement specific Date classes. A Date object should represent a
> certain day, regardless of the calendar system and QDate is perfect for
> this purpose.
>
> The problem is that each calendar system has its own view of how long a
> month is, how many months belong to a year, what a week is, how special
> days like holidays are calculated. In fact, supporting different
> calendar systems is not a problem of internal represenation of a date,
> but a problem of how calendars are displayed.

I don't have a lot to say, but I agree with all that is sad in the above
two paragraphs and the rest of the mail.

Adding different date classes for different calenders, is IMHO not a
good idea at all.  This should be handled outside of QDate.

A generic calender class, which uses a QDate as the date representation
and a CalenderSystem subclass as it's calender conversion routine,
sounds much better and more flexible to me.  One still has the bonus,
that there is only one calender class which can be extended to all kinds
of calenders, only by writing a new conversion class.

Ciao,
Viktor
--
Viktor Rosenfeld