List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] synching framework in kde
From:       Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-01-26 10:35:56

On Friday 25 January 2002 18:38, Maarten Stolte wrote:
> > > This seems rather cool indeed, what i'm mostly thinking is that
> > > the connector architecture needs to be simple, very simple, so
> > > people can easily script an input connector for KitchenSync from
> > > MyBookmarks, and other people, like the konqueror developers, but
> > > maybe also Kmerlin and Kvirc can build output plugins to get
> > > those bookmarks into their apps.
> >
> > The way I understand it, syncing is (in general, there may be
> > exceptions)

> > two-way process. So, there should be no distinction between input
> > and
>
> output
>
> > plugins/conduits/konnectors. Right?
>
> Indeed, the whole synching framework is just an information center,
> ask, put, etc, it all just needs a common thing, which imho should be
> some kind of xml/xsl architecture.

Don't forget that we already have some standard formats and a lot of
code that works quite well on this. XML is nice, but in our case I
don't see any benefit from switching to it. What you would do with XSL
in the syncing framework I don't understand.

> I think Jabber has lots of 'hacks' which provide it with connectivity
> to anything from MSN, ICQ to blogger.
> This is the way I think the end result should be, i would like to be
> able to use kmail to edit my weblog, to send icq messages to kmail
> users etc.. I understand this is all rather vague, and will probably
> take alot of thinking, but it's something which XML and the state of
> uberconnectivity we are going to reach eventually will be providing,
> if not in KDE, then in Windows 2004 or something else..

When the code works, we can also make it buzzword-compatible. Currently
I think it is more important to implement a working solution ;-)