List:       kde-pim
Subject:    [Kde-pim] Re: Kpilot
From:       Adriaan de Groot <adridg () cs ! kun ! nl>
Date:       2002-01-16 10:26:37

Hi Chris,

On Tue, 15 Jan 2002, Christopher Abiad wrote:
> KDE.  I wonder, could I help you with your work on KPilot?  I have a
> Handspring Visor Deluxe and an ancient Palm Pilot.

These are the best kind of mails. There's lots of places you can help
(even the ancient PP is useful, for backwards compatibility testing -- i
still don't have a serial connector for my PPPro and the IIIx cradle
doesn't fit.)

> In the short term, I'd be glad to do some updating on the website.  I think

OK. The website is hosted on slac.com (for those out of the loop:

	http://www.slac.com/pilone/kpilot_home/

) which makes maintainence slightly harder. I have a login there, and the
site itself is in CVS on that machine -- dunno if there's pserver access
to it though. Dan?

> the FAQ only references version 3.x, and there isn't any way to directly
> download the source of 4.x (including 4.3?) or binaries for 4.2.x and

Part of the reason for that is that KPilot merged into kde-pim and that
slac.com had bandwidth issues. I don't know if they can take the bandwidth
hit of hosting sources (and perhaps binaries. Martin J can do the rpm's,
and I could probably pull off a ports/ version with wca's help.)

You could use wget and diff already to send patches to me for the site,
I'd be only too glad for someone keep it up-to-dater. (Klaus: could we
move the whole KPilot site to pim.kde.org in a sensible fashion? Would
that (a) fit with the current site setup (b) allow easier updating?)

> earlier.  Also, is there any particular testing I could help out with?

Just try it. Send back detailed error reports. Compile it yourself with
debugging turned on (current Makefile.am sets -DDEBUG -DDEBUG_CERR for
maximum output). Currently kdepim/kpilot/kpilot/kpilotTest is the most
useful application, since you can run specific parts of a sync.

> I have experience in coding C, C++, and Java.  I don't have very much free
> time, but I really want to use KPilot to sync my visor with KMail,
> KOrganizer (!), and KAB.

None of us have loads of free time, it seems -- why is kde-pim the domain
of over-twenties with jobs & responsibilities? The previous web-site
maintainer for KPilot retired recently, so a combination of keeping the
site up-to-date (which requires reading kdepim/kpilot/ChangeLog regularly
and checking the list) and compiling every now and then and giving it a
well-documented try would already help enormously.

> I plan to try to compile the newest version from CVS tonight (I've compiled
> a lot of stuff on Linux now, but never tried to do so from public CVS
> sources before) and attempt the sync with my Visor.

If that didn't work, kpilotTest is your friend.

> I don't know the release guidelines for core KDE apps, but if we could add
> just USB syncing in an interim release, I think it'd be great.  I'd be
> willing to lend any assistance you deem appropriate, keeping in mind my time
> constraints.

The whole idea was an interim release some time in october, but my time is
short as well. I was really tired of patching bits & pieces of the older
architecture, so I wanted to do a serious rewrite of the internals of
KPilot. That has worked out pretty well, only now we need time to move the
rest of the code to the new architecture.

Seriously, it's almost there. Tarballs may start appearing soon.