List:       kde-pim
Subject:    [Kde-pim] Handspring Visor with USB on SuSE 7.3 - my findings
From:       Ferdinand Gassauer <f.gassauer () aon ! at>
Date:       2001-12-22 19:37:55

Hi!
I try to summarize my findings to get the Visor connected to SuSE 7.3 and to
sync with KDE korganizer and addressbook.

* Visor
Create a new connection "USB" with
** method "USB on PC"
** speed "115200"
** handshaking "automatic"
Got to "Hot sync" and choose "local" and "USB" - but do not start/touch the
sync symbol yet - you'll have only 3-5 seconds to start KPilot-daemon.
Apparently the USB times out and KPilot-daemon needs an active connection to
run.

* USB
After connecting the craddle it migth be necessary to reboot to make the USB
system recognize the new new device. (I am not sure about this, because I
made a lot of other mistakes -see below - before the connection worked)

* Kpilot
open konsole and start "kpilot --setup" and configure Kpilot
** Device=/dev/ttyUSB1 (or you have to "ln -s /dev/ttyUSB1 /dev/pilot" as
root)
** speed 115200
** tick "stop daemon"
leave kpilot with "OK"

* kpilot-daemon
** prepare to launch kpilot-daemon (open the K-Menu/Utilities)
** NOW start/touch the sync icon on the visor (but not the sync button - this
one takes the USB/serial connection which does not work for me - though I did
not try hard)
** and launch kpilot daemon
--> your first sync will run :-))

* kpilot
** start kpilot after finishing the sync (this is only possible as long
kpilot daemon is running becaus it suggests an open connection to the visor,
which has eventualy been closed by the USB system).
** Set up the Settings / Conduits
** quit kpilot AND kpilot daemon

End of SETUP
-------------------------
Normal operation
** Prepare to launch kpilot daemon
** Start Visor - System - Quicksync - touch Sync
** Launch kpilot daemon
** Start kpilot
** quit kpilot AND kpilot daemon

Sorry if I have massed up some translation, but I have set up KDE and Visor
in German.

Hope that helps.

If the daemon is started by kpilot I get this error
Dec 22 18:23:32 linuxfg3 kernel: usb-uhci.c: interrupt, status 3, frame# 229

Please contact me directly if I can be of any further help.
--
KDE 2 - usualy very new SuSE rpms on SuSE 7.3, X86Free 4.1.0

regards
Ferdinand Gassauer
mailto:f.gassauer@aon.at
mailto:gassauer@kde.org