List:       kde-pim
Subject:    [Kde-pim] Re: k-pilot in kde3
From:       Adriaan de Groot <adridg () cs ! kun ! nl>
Date:       2001-12-16 20:28:22

On Sat, 15 Dec 2001, James Wilson wrote:
> I noticed that there is not a whole lot that is working in KDE3 yet. I would
> like to help you get kpilot to the point where it will be useful to me (and
> hopefully others) in kde3.

OK, I suppose this means I should document the architectural changes
somewhere, or at least try to explain them once.

[Are you ever on IRC? I'm [ade] on channels #kde and #kde-freebsd at
irc.kde.org, if you have questions about KPilot's workings.]

KPilot had the following structure (in fixed-width fonts):

PilotListener        <--1-->  KPilotDaemon <--3--> KPilot
conduit executables  <--2-->        "      <--4--> Serial Port

Where KPilot isn't really that important -- it's a frontend for
configuring things and a simple file viewer, not much more than that.
Each of 1,2,3,4 had a different protocol, (though 1 was really simple,
just a wait()). It's now simplified into

Serial Port <--4--> KPilotDaemon <--3'-> KPilot

by using DCOP for 3' and not changing 4 at all. THe conduits now are
plugins -- shared libs -- that are demand-loadied into the daemon and can
interface with the serial communication parts directly. The architectural
changes are the most important; I believe that the conduit code itself is
semi-ok.

> In particular I want to help with the conduits that will
> enable me to use my palm's data in Organizer.

Those are in kdepim/kpilot/conduits/vcalconduit; what's there now is quite
inefficient and has some strange problems. It needs to be p[roperly ported
to libkcal, and checked for efficiency.

That said, the only conduit that has both a config dialog that works and a
real sync action right now is the expense conduit; you might try looking
at that as an example, even though its function is rather primitive (just
exporting expense records).