List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Proposal: KSharedFile
From:       Ingo Assenmacher <mlists () cognitivemicrosystems ! net>
Date:       2001-12-13 1:18:37

Hi Preston, Nick,

At least in my mind,  the discussion that has been done was NOT about
replacing the old file-structure with a full blown dbase just for the sake of
fun.
There is no reason for doing so, single user-access has never been the
problem for the current approach.
Solving the Synching-Problem with KSharedFile is a very promising solution.

To introduce a full-blown dbase would only make sense in case:

* multiple users access a central-data storage concurrently
* clients are no more that views that reflect a state of the current data
(automatic update of attached clients... again: multiple users)
* transparent access across a network without file-share "problems"
* get access using standard-protocols or formats across clients (e.g.
Win32-clients might support a dbase-integration based on XML-derivatives, so
exchange between different applications without format conversion might be
possible)

I am tired,  there may be more reasons ;)

So, berkeley DB is a nice "record-oriented" (quoting the online-decription
here) database, that is capable of a multi-client access on the same machine
(or application only?).
Quote:
"Berkeley DB is not a standalone database server. It is a library, and runs
in the address space of the application that uses it. If more than one
application links in Berkeley DB, then all can use the same database at the
same time; the library handles coordination among the applications, and
guarantees that they do not interfere with one another. "

There is a statment about the possibility of RPC-call usage. But seems to be
limited.

<http://www.sleepycat.com/docs/ref/intro/dbisnot.html>

Anyhow, thanks for the hint on this, Preston.
I do not think that SQL-Server equals "a must" or "good".
dbase systems offer many things that are valuable (besides a parser and
query-optimizer).

Regards, Ingo.