List:       kde-pim
Subject:    [Kde-pim] Reqs for reliable/extendable PIM in KDE
From:       Nick Papadonis <npapadon () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-12-11 16:40:01

Date: 11 Dec 2001 11:40:01 -0500

Ingo Assenmacher <ingo.assenmacher@post.rwth-aachen.de> writes:
> > I was basically asking if you would design a database schema for the
> > KDEPIM project as a whole.  Lets say each package maintainer
> > collaborates about data storage informaiton with you.
>
> Thanks for explaining. Yes, I would think that this would be a good solution.
> I would have to go into details of several packages.
> Right now (being on the low-level of information here), I do only think of a
> wrapper schema to conserve originally used formats (like: enhance data with
> meta-information (user/creation date, whatever) and put in the original data
> as a blob.
> As almost all data is acessed via interfaces (is it?), this could be an
> approriate solution. BUT: I have not gone into details here, and this is only
> a very early idea.

Ingo,

I would think designing a schema and API a start.  Someone who
understands how data is stored and retrieved in the file format could
write a converter.  I don't think this is high priority for anything
other then calendar data.

I know I'm starting from scratch data and would like to focus on
synchronization and hardware issues.  Conversion is low priority for
me.

Anyone needing mentioned subject,

Do you think its a good time to start splitting off on seperate
projects?  Maybe we could have interested parties organize each and
merge in a few months?

How much of Ksync is implemented?   I would be interested in helping
here.  Ingo seems interested in an information storage library.
Anyone else have any pieces they could drive?

The core items to get an equivalent features of Outlook in KDE are (in order of
dependency, most dependent listed first):

- Information storage libraries/api implemented
- Ksync libraries/api implemented
- Palm plugin for Ksync
- Calendar/Todo plugin for Ksync
- Notes plugin for Ksync
- Something to get data from group scheduling emails to use
information storage api.

Any comments?

--
Nick