List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Proposal: KSharedFile
From:       Nick Papadonis <npapadon () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-12-11 7:21:49

On Friday 07 December 2001 19:52, Ingo Assenmacher wrote:

> But why do not use a database with transactions and
> multiuser-evironment to solve concurrency issues here. Instead of
> KsharedFile make something like KFileProxy and connect to a database.
> Concurrent access to data including integrity issues have been solved
> for many years now by database systems. So why keep up with fragile
> file-based manipulations and lock-files?
Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher@kde.org> writes:
Of course putting all calendar, addressbook data etc. into a database
would solve these kind of problems, but on the other hand it would
create a lot of other problems, for example more difficult debugging.
The kdepim tools are still aiming at the "normal" user, where using a
real database as backend would really be overkill.
That said, I still think that adding an (optional) database backend to
apps like Korganizer and Kaddressbook would be a nice thing, but not a
number one priority.
l also don't think that file-based manipulations and lock-files are
fragile. They work very well and provide all the functionality we need.

<nick>
I have to agree with Ingo.  IMHO using some sort of database is the
easiest and best solution for long term.  Database engines and libraries are freely
available and already have most bugs ironed out.  I also believe
engineering hours are saved using a well known database opposed to
developing new code to deal with a flat file for storage.

Just lock the database when a device is syncronizing, release the lock
afterwards.

could come up with a schema and API for KPIM's needs, we shouldn't
need to deal with this.

</nick>