List:       kde-pim
Subject:    [Kde-pim] was: KSharedFile
From:       Ingo Assenmacher <ingo.assenmacher () post ! rwth-aachen ! de>
Date:       2001-12-10 23:35:49

Hi Cornelius,

I have been thinking about an intermediate solution for the shared access to
the resource file.
I attach a pdf with a sketch of the principle I am thinking of.
For one thing: it would be enough, if any client trying to access the
data-file does not do this directly but contacts a broker for this using DCOP.
The source of the data could be handled by the broker almost transparently to
KOrganizer.
I have read only minor things about DCOP and I am for sure no KDE-expert.
What do you think? Concurrent access would not be a problem, as the broker
could block/synch concurrent access.

AFAIK: DCOP is only a local protocol and does not support
across-host-communication, does it? So, in order to synch to other hosts
concurrently, my idea of using a full-blown db might be appropriate for power
users ;)
Looking forward to your comments.

Regards, Ingo.

["architectural_sketch_kSharedAccess.pdf" (application/pdf)]