List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Proposal: KSharedFile
From:       Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-12-08 0:02:48

On Friday 07 December 2001 19:52, Ingo Assenmacher wrote:

> But why do not use a database with transactions and
> multiuser-evironment to solve concurrency issues here. Instead of
> KsharedFile make something like KFileProxy and connect to a database.
> Concurrent access to data including integrity issues have been solved
> for many years now by database systems. So why keep up with fragile
> file-based manipulations and lock-files?

Of course putting all calendar, addressbook data etc. into a database
would solve these kind of problems, but on the other hand it would
create a lot of other problems, for example more difficult debugging.
The kdepim tools are still aiming at the "normal" user, where using a
real database as backend would really be overkill.

That said, I still think that adding an (optional) database backend to
apps like Korganizer and Kaddressbook would be a nice thing, but not a
number one priority.

l also don't think that file-based manipulations and lock-files are
fragile. They work very well and provide all the functionality we need.