List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Minimum requirements to make a QT app into a KDE app?
From:       Bryan Brunton <bryanbrun () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-11-10 18:12:18

<< But you still have to provide the GUI for this and handle passwords nd
similar stuff, which raises security issues. >>

A simple GUI for handling users and passwords is trivial.  Basic encryption of passwords is
trivial to support.

<< Tell these users that they have to install and run a complete database
system for using your application and you will get a similar stare.>>

We have already been over this.  Local storage for single users will be almost completely
transparent as it will be a flat file with ODBC connection, no MySQL or PostgreSQL.

If the users want multi-user then they can use the DB system.

No offense but it seems like you are not familiar with the big commercial PIM applications.  Have
you heard of GoldMine, Act!.  These are used by millions of people are the world for PIM.  What
kind of applications are they?  Database applications just like the one that I am designing.  The
legal side of PIM is also dominated by database applications.

<< When you need this information in your application,
read the reference form the database and ask the appropriate KDE APIs
for the data.>>

This could work but there are serious problems with having to (1) use the KDE API to access some
client information, and (2) use other API to access other client information.  Also you completely
lose all database functionality like foreign keys and delete,update constraints.

<< It should make the development easier for
you, because you don't have to reimplement the basic stuff like mailer,
address book and calendar and can concentrate on your actual
application.>>

The problem is the kdepim infrastructure for integrating an application like mine doesn't exist
yet.  I hope to work as much with the kdepim apps as possible.  I don't want to write
infrastructure and APIs, I want to write software that I can use today.

Bryan