List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Using KAlarm to display KOrganizer events
From:       David Jarvie <lists () astrojar ! org ! uk>
Date:       2001-11-09 1:09:03

On Thursday 08 Nov 2001 1:32 pm, Adriaan de Groot wrote:

> > "maybe it would be a great idea if KAlarm would interact with KOrganize,
> > so my appointments and other info is alarmed. Furthermore it would be
> > cool if
>
> Is KAlarm different from the KOrganizer alarmd? I'm not sure where KAlarm
> is from -- it's not in my source-compiled version of KDE 2.2.1.

KAlarm exists in CVS, but wasn't part of KDE 2.2.1. It is available as a
standalone program.

> > I'm not familiar with how KOrganizer's works, so I don't know if it
> > already has the facilities which he mentions. But if not, perhaps food
> > for thought? KAlarm's DCOP interface would enable KOrganizer to tell
> > KAlarm to display events. I'm already intending to add an "at login" type
> > alarm to KAlarm.
>
> Mmm, so he already *can* do C++. Great! Consider the suggestion accepted
> and the assignment given to him. Note that you have to make sure that
> KOrganizer continues functioning even when KAlarm is *not* running. And
> you might want to look at all the messages from Mark Westcott, who has
> recently added all kinds of neat things to the alarms in KOrganizer.

This paragraph wasn't part of Jörg's suggestion, but was my comment (I am the
maintainer of KAlarm). If KOrganizer can already do these things, then there
is no need to use KAlarm to duplicate its functions.

--
David Jarvie