List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Minimum requirements to make a QT app into a KDE app?
From:       Andrew Sutton <ansutton () sep ! com>
Date:       2001-11-01 5:37:26

On Wednesday 31 October 2001 04:04 pm, Bryan Brunton wrote:

oops... apparently, i hit the send button so i didn't get to finish. oh well,
that was getting kind of lengthy :)

> Anyone who wants to help is welcome.  I should acknowledge that the goal,
> at least for the initial release, is to make as simple and functional a
> multi-user contact/task/calendar management tool as possible.  I won't be
> entering into an Aethera-like quaqmire.  I am not designing the next
> generation of contact management application servers.  With that
> acknowledged, I think that given the ease with which I progressed so far, I
> can have a functional, multi-user contact/task/calendar management system
> released in a few months time.  Possibly three to four months after that I
> can have basic email integrated into the system.  People will have a choice
> other than Evolution for an integrated open source system like this on
> Linux.

i thought the end goal was going to be virtulaw ;) okay, so you're first
release is going to be a prototype of a simple, functional multi-user
contact/task/calandar managemnt tool.

i was kind of hoping to help out with a serious design iteration over the
contact information stuff. i think that specifically listing out a) what
you'd want in contact information and b) what functionality a contact
management application has would really help steer the direction of the
implementation. actually, the same could go for tasks and calendars
management.

if you'd be interested, i'll post a survey over on to kde-devel to dig up
some feedback on what information should be present in a contact information
record.

here's a really difficult problem that should be solved... when you're
talking about project/case management stuff, typically you deal with users of
a system, however, alot of your contacts will not be users. given that, how
do you build a data set that is capable of optionally associating contact
information with a user. to generalize, how do you build a system that can
gracefully associate arbitrary data with either a user or a contact?

for example, a manager (user) may assign tasks to an employee (user) and bill
that time to a client (contact). there are a couple different systems at work
here: task management, time management, contact management and billing. can
they all use the same system?

Andrew Sutton
ansutton@sep.com