List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Re: Using a Handspring effectively with KDE (fwd)
From:       <smooge () mindspring ! com>
Date:       2001-10-30 18:07:22

On Tue, 30 Oct 2001, Adriaan de Groot wrote:

>Hi Stephen,
>
>First off let me welcome you aboard the SS KPilot, which sometimes sinks,
>sometimes swims, and sometimes gives you the ride of your life. Oh, and it's
>free, open, and written and maintained by the rag-taggiest crowd of weirdos
>in this or any other time zone.
>
>Please note also that the last three people who asked for help were also
>immediately given a coding assignment to do as a form of payment. Are you
>prepared to pay the price? Hmm?

Well I could pay for someone to program... <looks in wallet>. Ok well
now I guess its time to learn to program.

>On Monday 29 October 2001 04:03 pm, smooge@smoogespace.com wrote:
>> Hi, I have been working with the Red Hat Linux 7.2 RPMS for KDE-2.2 and
>> was having some difficulty with the syncing my Handspring Visor to
>> korganizer. I am a recent convert to KDE (about 2 months now) so I am
>> not sure if I am doing it all correct yet.
>
>Primarily I'm surprised that it works at all, since RH 7.2 should ship with
>KPilot 4.2.3, which has lousy USB support. Unless you do complicated timing
>things like pressing the sync button with one hand while clicking on KPilot
>with the other.

Ahh.. that would explain why I needed to go back to the Serial Docking
unit. Interesting.

>> The conduits worked great for the addressbook, but no changes were made
>> to the configured .ifs file I was using. I fooled around with it a
>
>.ics or .vcs, I presume. The KOrganizer file, in any case. This has some
>issues, in particular that KOrganizer may not be running when KPilot does the
>Sync.
>
>> kpilot
>>  sync the handspring
>>  exit
>> kterm
>>  vcalconduit --local_db
>> korganizer
>>  make changes to calender
>> kterm
>>  vcalconduit --local_db
>> kpilot
>>  sync the handspring
>

>This is *very* useful to know, for the FAQ and KPilot 4.2.3 workarounds
>section.

The really cool thing was that after I did this the first time... the
conduit came up on the second time and said .. this is your first time
using vcalconduit.. do you want to.. and it has worked fine for the 2-3
times since then.

>> Please let me know the following:
>> 1) Correct way I should have reported this :)
>
>Not to Preston, but to this list. Or using bugs.kde.org, but this list is
>probably the better place since you get more support and a clown act as well.

Hmm no wonder I keep falling over here. I am wearing size 72 shoes now.

>> 2) How I can debug this better to help developers
>
>Well, if you look in the archives of kde-pim (at lists.kde.org) you can see
>lots of discussion about the state of KPilot and what we're doing.
>Essentially it's undergoing a major re-write to use modern technology and

Ahhh thanks.

>> 3) Anything else I can do.
>
>Muhahaha. Your comments up above indicate that the --local_db option is
>actually useful, and that we sometimes need to run conduits from the command
>line. Your assignment is:
>
>1) cvs co kdepim -r KDE_2_2_BRANCH
>2) rm -rf kdepim/kpilot
>3) cvs co kdepim/kpilot
>4) cd kdepim
>
>So far so good. Then:
>
>5a) make -f Makefile.cvs ; ./configure
>6a) cd kpilot ; make
>
>*or* alternatively
>
>5b) cd kpilot/kpilot
>6b) make -f Makefile-standalone
>
>See how it breaks? Fun, isn't it. No, your assignment is not to fix it all,
>but:
>
>7a) Report compilation errors directly to me (just mail the compiler output)
>
>*or* alternatively, if you chose 6b
>
>7b) Fix the Makefile-standalone part, and make one for kpilot/lib and the
>top-level kpilot directory, that just cd's into lib/ and kpilot/ and makes
>stuff there.
>

>8) Make it possible to run a conduit locally without any GUI. Since conduits
>don't have a UI or a test or local mode right now, the backend part isn't
>there, but some of the frontend is already there in main-test.cc. You can run
>kpilotTest --run-conduit Name already, but we need an additional --no-sync
>flag to force it to run against local files. Add a method to the conduit base
>class (in lib/plugin.h) to allow the selection of a LocalSync as well.
>Remember to change syncTypeString() or whatever it's called too.
>
>9) Send me the patches
>A) Don't forget to read the coding guidelines about style, in
>Documentation/HOWTO-CODE.txt
>B) Bask in the glory of having contributed to KPilot

Okay dokie. I will start looking for what I need to set CVSROOT to and
all the other fun and loving variables to.

--
Stephen John Smoogen
  Smoogen and Associates Computer Consultants