List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Quo vaids KPilot
From:       Adriaan de Groot <adridg () adridg ! sci ! kun ! nl>
Date:       2001-10-30 7:25:38

On Monday 29 October 2001 11:48 pm, David Bishop wrote:

> I'm still up for sending you .ui files, just tell me what you want :-)  And
> I too noticed that the knotes conduit sucked (iirc, I was going to start
> converting conduits with that one. that was a mistake).

Well, any errant bits of the UI are open for improvement. For example, the
viewer widgets (in the KPilot UI) are still hard-coded, and you sent a
message some time back saying that the View menu needed to be far more
explicitly visible in the UI. So there's work to be done there. And there's
the generalized hex viewer (possibly stealing lots of code from khexedit)
that needs to be designed and implemented.

> As for the crippleware thing, those whose needs aren't satisfied by it,
> don't have to upgrade (very simple).  And I doubt the 4.3.x line will be
> snarfed up by distrobutions, so I don't see it as a concern.

Not immediately, no. And fortunately we can leave it to the distros to figure
out how and upgrade action has to remove old crufty files (like the conduit
executables and pilotListener).

> All the things in the TODO file sound hard :-(  And as easy as "learn c++"
> is to say, it's considerably more difficult to do .......

Mmmmm, let me add something to the TODO:

* Document the NULL conduit in such a way that it is actually useable as a
programming example

I'm afraid it's hard to think up small jobs right now (maybe some niftiness
in the current viewers) since the big jobs are conduits and they've not
really settled down into a state that I can say "this is the API, use it".