List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] installing kde 2.2.1 unofficial over kde 2.1 on RedHat 7.1
From:       David Bishop <david () bishop ! dhs ! org>
Date:       2001-10-29 21:50:42

On Monday 29 October 2001 01:32 am, Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> So let me respond to David's more inflammatory comments first:
> > Hrrm.  The flames aren't rolling in fast enough.  I'll add more fuel to
> > the fire.  Vi rules! Emacs sucks!
> >
> > Ah, there we go.  Now where did my bag of marshmallows go.......
>
> Real men don't use Qt designer, they hand-code all their UIs (with vi).

Ouch!

> On Monday 29 October 2001 03:13 am, David Bishop wrote:
> > While I haven't used an rpm-based distro in a while, I think the command
> > you are looking for is "rpm --force" or "rpm --nodeps" (can't remember
> > which one).  Undoubtably, someone will followup this post with a "argh!
> > That will destroy the inherited vectorness of the unique quantum flux
> > database!" or somesuch.  Feel free to ignore them :-)  Or, if installing
> > redhat 7.2 is an option, take the same time to learn how to install
> > debian and enjoy the saneness of a real distro.
>
> Yes, on the same distro-flamewars note, I've been a RH user for years now
> and in some ways it just keeps getting wonkier. I'm like this far (holds up
> fingers) from installing FreeBSD and dealing with *those* headaches
> instead. For a really sensible and stable KDE, I really do suggest:
>
> 1) build a gcc-2.95.3 thing with the required libstdc++
> 2) build all the support libs (openssl, libxml2) with that
> 3) build qt
> 4) build kde
	or
   5) use debian/unstable
This isn't a knock on how redhat/mandrake "do" kde, I haven't used them so I
can't comment.  However, taking a newly installed debian/unstable machine and
adding *stable* kde post-2.2.1 is as simple as "apt-get install task-kde".
Then to develop for it you "apt-get install kde-devel".  And if you are
really adventerous, there are alpha-kde3 debs apt-get'able from the main
debian-kde mainatainer (Ivan).  All joking aside, because I actually *don't*
want to get into the distro/flamewar, if you like KDE and want a good
experience, I suggest at least checking debian out.

> Especially since on my system, what ought to be rock-solid post-2.2.1
> konqui crashes on everything more complicated than a local file containing

Sounds like some packaging issues....

> So much for packaging, distro, and build woes. Next message: quo vadis
> kpilot?

I'll reply to that message seperately.

- --
D.A.Bishop