List:       kde-pim
Subject:    [Kde-pim] Quo vaids KPilot
From:       Adriaan de Groot <adridg () adridg ! sci ! kun ! nl>
Date:       2001-10-29 9:39:19

I know -- and David reminded me -- that I'd said "mid-october" for a new
KPilot release. Well, NOT. I'm pretty sure it could have been done if I'd
continued working at the pace I was -- those heady halcyon days when David
would send me a new .ui file every day, etc. Before my hardware broke. Before
it turned out that converting conduits is less trivial than the NULL-conduit
had suggested. Before I noticed that the KNotes conduit sucked.

Anyway, the KDE 3.0 freeze is coming closer. Please check the release
schedule (somewhere under developer.kde.org) to see if your favorite feature
<B><FONT SIZE=+15>that can feasibly be implemented</FONT></B> (preferably by
you) is on the list, and to see if I've left anything out there (like the
generalized PDB viewer?).

As for the fabled KPilot 4.3.0 release for KDE 2.2, that's still what I'm
aiming for, and yes, it really should be out Real Soon Now, assuming I can
curb my enthusiasm for fiddling around with software RAID under freeBSD and
new hardware and old hardware too (I've got a barcode scanner. What should I
do with it?). Currently I'm really working on the address book conduit, and
as soon as I get something together that can sync reliably using just that
one conduit, I'll release KPilot 4.3.0 into the wild. 4.3.1 will then have
the remaining conduits. I hope that will make it possible to get people using
the new setup, and help find bugs in it, without having to fix all the
conduits first. Of course, it will mean that KPilot will be kinda crippleware
(one conduit? you gotta be kidding) for a short while.

[ade]

PS. The TODO file has been updated, and gives a reasonable indication of the
kinds of jobs that are lying around.