List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Distribution Lists
From:       Adriaan de Groot <adridg () adridg ! sci ! kun ! nl>
Date:       2001-10-23 6:48:44

On Monday 22 October 2001 11:02 pm, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> I have added support for distribution lists to the new address book API
> (see kdepim/kabc).

Hey, that's great news! This is something people have wanted for a long time
(me too!).

> The GUI for editing the distribution lists could become part of KMail
> or a plugin for KAddressBook or a stand-alone program.

It seems like a natural for the address book program itself. Of course, this
has some influence on syncing as well (or wouldn't distribution lists show up
in the list of contact entries you can get by DCOP from KAddressbook?).

On a vaguely related note (since it's got something to do with email), I'd
like to move the KPilot popmail conduit over to use the pop3 and smtp
ioslaves, but I have no idea how to start with it -- the pop3 code in KMail
seems very complex, and reading pop3.h doesn't tell me whether I should be
using virtual void get (const KURL& url) or virtual void listDir (const KURL
&url) or what. Perhaps a nicely encapsulated
SMTP-sender-with-address-book-expansion would be useful, since KPilot could
use it to send mail off of the Pilot, KOrganizer could use it to send
reminders, etc.

I'll, um, get right on it, right after I finish the abbrowser conduit and
learn two new APIs (kabc and ioslaves).

Here's the code, based on a romantic simplification of the notion, and a
naive hope in ideal APIs:

bool expandEmailAndSend(const KUrl &document,
	const QStringList &addressees)
{
	QStringList expanded = DistributionListManager::expand(addressees);
	SMTPSlave::send(expanded,document);
}

[ade]