List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] RFC2445 compliance for .vcs
From:       Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher () kde ! org>,
Date:       2001-10-15 8:26:04

On Monday 15 October 2001 06:53, Mike Heins wrote:
> I assume RFC2445 compliance for .vcs is on a list, but is it on anyone's
> radar? I don't have time/OS for KDE 3.0, and didn't see anything about
> an effort to do this.

.vcs is vCalendar, not iCalendar (RFC 2445). This is a different format.
KOrganizer reads and writes by default iCalendar files (.ics). You can read
and export vCalendar format, though.

The basic structure of vCalendar and iCalendar is the same, but some fields
are used differently (e.g. the RRULE you mention below) and iCalendar has
some additional fields. You can tell, which format is used by looking at the
VERSION property. It's 1.0 for vCalendar and 2.0 for iCalendar (some
programs, e.g. gnomecal, get it wrong and write their own version in this
property).

libkcal and Korganizer should be RFC2445 compliant.

> Things on my list so far:
>
>     RRULE: change from W1 TU TH #52 -> FREQ=WEEKLY;BYDAY=TU,TH;COUNT=52
>     STATUS: change NEEDS ACTION to NEEDS-ACTION, etc.
>     TRANSP: change boolean 0/1 to OPAQUE/TRANSPARENT
>
> More will be revealed, I am sure.

These things are valid in vCalendar. You should use an .ics file if you
need a RFC 2445 compliant file.

> It is fairly easy to do a script to transform the .vcs file to be
> more compliant; and if noone has a similar effort ongoing I think I
> will do that.

If there are problems in the format KOrganizer is writing, we should fix this
in the code.

> (PS: Is this a developer list or is it for users to ask questions as well?)

It's both, but most of the time it's used for development issues.