List:       kde-pim
Subject:    [Kde-pim] Re: opps! batteries died, so I need to restore palm from backup, and can't
From:       Aron Insinga <aki () insinga ! com>
Date:       2001-10-15 3:25:24

I forwarded the problem with http://bugs.kde.org/db/pa/lkpilot/ to kde.org.

Yes, I had the files backed up in a couple of partitions, but all on the same
machine; thanks for the reminder to store a copy elsewhere too.  [I actually
found where they were in the backup of my directory tree using find
and grep for a name I knew was in the address book.]

I was able to do the restore very simply with pilot-xfer.  Thank you very
much!!

Yes, I can code.  FWIW, I think that being able to dump any data to text
files that can be processed with many different very common tools (i.e. grep,
emacs, sed, or any scripting or programming language) is good.  Raw text is
good.  XML is good.  I don't know how KNotes stores its data, but in general,
sooner or later I get very frustrated with binary files that can only be read
with a particular tool that depends on other complex things such as a
particular windowing environment.  (Many years ago I helped build a rapid
development environment that saved workspaces to binary files, and it turned
out to be a real pain.  I *have* edited binary files on several systems with
emacs but I try not to remember such things too often.)

Thanks again for your help.

- Aron