List:       kde-perl
Subject:    Re: [Kde-perl] PerlQt as LGPL?
From:       Jonathan Yu <jonathan.i.yu () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-01-20 18:59:35

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 10:36 AM, Germain Garand
<germain@ebooksfrance.org> wrote:
> Le mardi 6 octobre 2009, Eric Wilhelm a écrit :
>> Hello Germain and Ashley,
>>
>> (sending this to the list since germain@ebooksfrance.com bounced)
>>
>> Now that Nokia has released Qt 4.5 as LGPL, would it be possible to
>> relicense the Perl bindings as LGPL?
>

> Hi,
> sorry, I only notice this message now.
>
> I certainly agree to a relicensing, provided the copyrights/licensing terms
> are clearly displayed in a header at the top of source files, rather than
> tucked a way in a separate file.
For the sake of maintainability, I would suggest a clause that simply
directs the user to a file, rather than duplicating what could be a
long list of copyright holders many times. Something that spells out
license terms only in every file, plus has a reference to the file
which contains full copyright information would be ideal.

I would recommend something like:

This software is licensed under the terms of the GNU Lesser General
Public License; either version 2.1, or, at your option, any later
version. (or whatever the standard clause is).  For full copyright
details, please see the COPYING file included with this distribution.

In group projects (especially large ones like perlqt4), there are
always many different contributors, and keeping track of copyright
information for each file is tedious and impractical. Often developers
will neglect to add their name to copyright for individual files that
they work on, even though they technically hold copyright to it
(having edited it) per the Berne Convention.

> It was certainly good enough for GPL, but LGPL brings an all new set of
> people, with maybe less of a free software mindset, and it is much harder to
> abuse a license, deliberatly or not, when it is spelled many times right in
> front of you.
I agree it's helpful to refer to license terms often. Copyright, I
think, less so.