List:       kde-perl
Subject:    Re: [Kde-perl] PerlQt and threads
From:       "Gary L. Greene Jr." <greeneg () tolharadys ! net>
Date:       2007-12-10 22:21:23

On Monday 10 December 2007 02:10:47 pm Roy Souther wrote:
> I am the moderator for the PerlQt list. Your message was held back
> because your sending email address is not in the list. This is to
> protect our members from SPAM. Sorry for the delay.
>
> I have not used threads in Perl but I would expect it to be logically
> the same as threads in C++. I would expect that the $window variable is
> out of scope and cannot be access by the thread. I would advice you to
> use a call back from the child thread to the parent thread that asks the
> parent thread that does have $window in scope to show the window by
> proxy.

Actually, no. Based off a discussion a while back with Ashley and Gerand,
PerlQt is not perl-thread safe. The main reason for this is that Perl threads
and the native NPTL threads that Qt uses are NOT compatible at all and may
cause some rather unusual and nasty application lockups.

--
Gary L. Greene, Jr.
Sent from: peorth.tolharadys.net