List:       kde-perl
Subject:    Re: [Kde-perl] PerlQt, PerlKDE
From:       510077896189-0001 () t-online ! de (Paul Mallach)
Date:       2003-12-28 17:01:15

Hi, Allen!

> I'm developing a financial application that I hope will one day become a
> full-featured KDE app. Partly because I enjoy programming in Perl, and
> partly because much of the code I need already exists as Perl modules, I
> decided to write this project in PerlQt and then incorporate PerlKDE when
> it becomes available.

Check out this posting on KDE Enterprise:
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-enterprise&m=107064228431228&w=2

> I guess I'm looking for arguments for moving to a KDE C++ application
> before I get too far along.  I haven't found any nice, GPL C++ financial
> class libraries.  Anyone know of one?   I at least need something like the
> Finance::Quote and Finance::QuoteHist perl modules.  Oh, and I need
> plotting capability.
If you want to draw charts for market data, then I'm not aware of anything
complete in Perl. The modules that I checked out are all not (yet?) suited
for financial data, i. e. they are all missing features like comparing
multiple time-series, well-behaved handling of indicators, different scales
(decimal, logarithmic, percent), ...

There is a library for technical analysis at http://ta-lib.org/ that covers
data access and management as well as technical analysis functions. The have
links to a number of open-source and commercial projects.

Other projects that you might want to have a look at:

GeniusTrader (Trading-Toolkit written in Perl, provides implementations for
many indicators)

QT Stalker (http://sourceforge.net/projects/qtstalker/)

bye, Paul.