List:       kde-perl
Subject:    [Kde-perl] introducing the PerlQt plugin for Qt Designer (Beta 1)
From:       Germain Garand <germain () ebooksfrance ! org>
Date:       2003-05-30 3:51:37

Hi all,
if there are still any
in this realm of deep, frozen, deadly silence... ;)

I'm pleased to announce the first Beta version of the PerlQt plugin for Qt
Designer v.3.1+.

This plugin brings at last a fully integrated PerlQt IDE, with
the following exciting main features:

- Perl syntax highlighting
- Completion on all methods and static functions
- Management of Perl/PerlQt projects
- Ability to Build/Run projects and forms straight from the IDE
- Debugging/ STDOUT/STDERR output in the Output Window

Here is an (hopelessly crippled by dreadful compression artifacts) interactive
tutorial in shockwave flash format, demonstrating the build of a simple yet
amazing web browser:

  http://www.phoenix-library.org/germain/shots/perlqt_plugin.swf
  (3890165 bytes)

also available as a tar.bz2 archive:

  http://www.phoenix-library.org/germain/shots/perlqt_plugin.swf.tar.bz2
  (2181770 bytes)

Installation:
-------------

Alas, it is not easy to build...
The plugin interface for the Designer 3.1 is rough around the edges and
seems scarcely tested, probably due to the lack of foreign plugin
implementations up to now.

As a consequence, if the plugin would load perfectly in a stock Designer,
it is next to useless in there, since some important Designer methods are
locked, or even non-functionals.

I've been able to turnaround most of those shortcomings, but there is still a
need to apply a set of trivial patches to the Designer sources, and rebuild
it.

Truth is: the mandatory patches modify ... 4 lines.
Yes, I know ;-/

Hopefully, this should get better with the upcoming Designer 3.2, as I got in
touch with a kind Trolltech programmer who already commited one of those.

But enough said.

For this beta, you'll need at least:

- a working PerlQt installation

- a checkout of perleditor, puic and pqtapi (for conveniency, we'll call
SRCDIR the root of this checkout):

$ export SRCDIR=`pwd`
$ export CVSROOT=:pserver:anonymous@cvs.perlqt.sf.net:/cvsroot/perlqt
$ cvs co -r DESIGNER_PLUGIN_1_0_B1 PerlQt-3/perleditor
$ cvs co -r PUIC_0_6_B1 PerlQt-3/puic
$ cvs co PerlQt-3/PerlQt/bin/pqtapi

- a previously built Qt 3.1.x source tree
(the patches might not apply to other versions than 3.1.2, but well, that's
just 4 lines...)

-----

1) apply the Designer patches

$ cd $QTDIR/tools/designer/designer
$ patch -p0 < $SRCDIR/PerlQt-3/perleditor/designer_3.1_patches/*.diff

2) rebuild the designer

$ cd ..
$ touch app/main.cpp
$ make

3) build and install the new puic

$ cd $SRCDIR/PerlQt-3/puic
$ $QTDIR/bin/qmake -makefile puic.pro
$ make
# make install

4) build and install the plugin

$ cd ../perleditor
$ $QTDIR/bin/qmake -makefile perleditor.pro
$ make
# make install

5) replace by hand the pqtapi program that came with your PerlQt distribution,
with the new one located in $SRCDIR/PerlQt-3/PerlQt/bin

You are done.
Launch Qt Designer, and adjust external program pathes if needed in
  Edit->Preferences->Perl Editor

Enjoy!

Germain

P.S: as you know, feedback is *very* precious at  this stage of development.
If you happen to notice a bug, even in the smallest and most ridiculous
details, if you happen to dislike a behaviour or think about a great feature
or think said feature is already there but sorely misimplemented, please
don't keep all of those mind-boggling thoughts all for you... share them
here! 8)