List:       kde-perl
Subject:    [Kde-perl] Re: Perl/Qt bindings?
From:       Germain Garand <germain () ebooksfrance ! com>
Date:       2002-05-07 8:51:40

Le Mardi 07 Mai 2002 08:08, vous avez écrit :
> Hi,
>
> having read about your work on Perl bindings for Qt on dot.kde.org, I would
> like to ask what the status of this project is and if there is any code
> ready for testing/dbugging.

Hello Torsten,
Well, we are currently working on  a major reengineering of PerlQt, based on a
new and more ambitious framework designed by Ashley Winters, the original
author of PerlQt, who came with astounding ideas.
It's moving fast and very promising (in the sense that it is intented to grow
as a general Qt/KDE binding framework), but we are yet a the "Hello World"
state.
There is a publicly accessible CVS containing this work, which you can reach
here :
export CVSROOT=":pserver:anonymous@perlkde.geo-ip.com:/home/kdecvs/perl"
cvs login
(hit enter)
cvs co PerlQt-3

There is also a mailing-list,
  kde-perl@kde.org
-> subscribe mails to be sent to kde-perl-request@kde.org
(subscribe <email> in the subject).

> Background: a couple of scientists here at the Genetics department have
> developed a genome annotation system using Perl/Gtk. Currently, we're
> evaluating switching to Qt as the basis for the GUI programming (for one
> of the next releases of the software) for a couple of reasons. We thought
> that Perl/Qt might be an interesting option for it would be possible to
> reuse quite a large Perl code base without modification whereas porting
> the system to C++ might reveal more difficult than it looks right now...
>
> Anyway, it would be great if you could let our developers have a look
> at the current state of the code. Perhaps some of us might help improving
> Perl/Qt but I cannot promise that right now.

Good ! Feel free to explore it and to join if you find it interesting,

Best regards,

Germain