List:       kde-panel-devel
Subject:    D15011: [Kickoff] Make the search field always look like a search field
From:       Filip Fila <noreply () phabricator ! kde ! org>
Date:       2018-08-24 22:59:55

[Attachment #2 (text/plain)]

filipf added a comment.

  To add more to the analysis, since Kickoff is a plasmoid, what seemed like a good \
idea to me was to have a look at how other plasmoids are designed (especially with \
relevance to the elements touched on in this proposal).
  The Clipboard plasmoid stood out to me because as another unibody plasmoid, it \
seems to me like it handles the search box gracefully. I created some pics, this time \
with Breeze Dark to switch it up a bit:
  F6213801: ClipboardSearch.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F6213801>

  Behavior: (1) non-selected it doesn't have an outer glow or a colored stroke; (2) \
when hovered over the stroke inherits the selection color; (3) only when clicked on \
or typed it does it turn on outer glow and the text selection linen blings
  Copied into Kickoff it doesn't look too bad (left pic). Since Kickoff is and can be \
more transparent, if possible what would help blend it in more is to lower the \
opacity by maybe 15-20% (right pic):
  F6213813: ClipboardSearchKickoff.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F6213813>

  Now as for adding differentation in Kickoff, my observations were:

  - Kickoff isn't actually unibody -> if we look closely, Breeze Dark reveals that it \
actually places tabs into squares + other tabs such as the Application one already \
                have separators
  - Other plasmoids do make use of separators, adding them would not create a design \
                inconsistency on the whole
  - Although not as common, some plasmoids do also shade certain sections differently \
(e.g. plasma-pa), so at least what can be concluded is that shading a part of Kickoff \
differently also wouldn't be unprecedented

REPOSITORY
  R119 Plasma Desktop

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D15011

To: ngraham, #plasma, #vdg, davidedmundson, abetts
Cc: rooty, sharvey, romangg, broulik, safaalfulaij, oysteins, filipf, abetts, \
davidedmundson, michaeltunnell, plasma-devel, ragreen, Pitel, ZrenBot, lesliezhai, \
ali-mohamed, jensreuterberg, sebas, apol, mart