List:       kde-panel-devel
Subject:    D15011: [Kickoff] Make the search field always look like a search field
From:       Safa Alfulaij <noreply () phabricator ! kde ! org>
Date:       2018-08-24 16:45:26

[Attachment #2 (text/plain)]

safaalfulaij added a comment.

  In D15011#314738 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D15011#314738>, @filipf wrote:

  > Exactly! In your second proposal I don't think the serachbox sticks out, even as \
it is. At least to me it looks fine. At the same time it is drawing back, albeit not \
totally, to old Kickoff so there would have to be good designer conceptualization and \
solution for how to keep it modern.  >
  > When I look at Kickoff now and just think narrowly: how can I make the search \
more prominent and keep designer consistency, what makes most sense to me is to reuse \
the horizontal blue line we already have as a Kickoff tab selection indicator, and \
even as the indicators of open windows and plasmoids. These lines are indeed \
minimalist. Unfortunately that looks terrible:  >
  > (deleted screenshot from reply)
  >
  > Not even making it a classic Breeze 1px line feels right, although I guess it's a \
bit better:  >
  > (deleted screenshot from reply)
  >
  > I've had a look at that setup. It's pretty sleek. But we have to consider that \
YouTube still keeps a full-fledged serachbox on their homepage, and the channel is a \
less important of a place. So if we apply that to Kickoff, it looks like this:  >
  > (deleted screenshot from reply)
  >
  > And then when it's opened it would look like this:
  >
  > (deleted screenshot from reply)
  >
  > IMO we still haven't solved the problem of it not being obvious that you can \
search. Maybe having a search icon isn't a bad idea though, but I think we'd still \
have to make it more obvious somehow:  >
  > (deleted screenshot from reply)
  >
  > This was just a little foray into what is possible, nothing definitive or great. \
In the pictures I've shortened the search box so that there is equal distance from \
the left and right edge of Kickoff, for symmetry reasons mostly, but also because I \
am a bit bothered that the Favorites tab is wasting about 60% of horizontal space on \
nothing and I didn't want to drag attention to the right side. This may be fixed when \
we get a new Home tab and isn't too important right now anyway.

  Well, I think the one with the line seems nice, the thinner one of course.
  And about the icon, maybe we should just keep it an icon to the right of the \
user@host label, and that's it? Something like this?
  F6213215: Screenshot_٢٠١٨٠٨٢٤_١٩٢٢٤٧.png \
<https://phabricator.kde.org/F6213215>
  (I was trying to make a video but then bindings failed, so stepped back).
  We can add a "Search…" text to that button, or a tooltip (not sure about HIG \
stuff). But I think that such a button (as is) is more than enough to inform users \
about the search functionality.

REPOSITORY
  R119 Plasma Desktop

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D15011

To: ngraham, #plasma, #vdg, davidedmundson, abetts
Cc: rooty, sharvey, romangg, broulik, safaalfulaij, oysteins, filipf, abetts, \
davidedmundson, michaeltunnell, plasma-devel, ragreen, Pitel, ZrenBot, lesliezhai, \
ali-mohamed, jensreuterberg, sebas, apol, mart