This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --nextPart5252735.ekVGHvDUSQ Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8" On Thursday, July 12, 2018 4:36:02 PM CDT Michail Vourlakos wrote: > 2018-07-12 17:43 GMT+03:00 Marco Martin : > As a plasma user I am a [Multiple Activities and 1 VD] user so I am get u= sed > in that workflow and I wouldnt like to miss it :) >=20 >=20 > I have in my mind without any > study but only based on the personal communication, the users are separat= ed > like > this: >=20 > [A] - 75% (1 Activity + Multiple VDs) > [B] - 20% (Multiple Activities + 1 VD) > [C] - 5% (Multiple Activities + Multiple Desktops) >=20 I just lurk here, but as a long time user of KDE and Plasma, I've fallen in= to all three=20 categories at one time or another in the last 15 years, so I feel like I mi= ght have a=20 perspective that's worth while.=20 Of course, in KDE 3, before activities were introduced, I fell into A, sinc= e that was the only=20 option. I spent a fair bit of time in category C during Plasma 4, but with = Plasma 5, but I've=20 now converted to category B. I'd love to go back to C, but it's so inconve= nient. I have a single monitor (on a laptop) so windows get cluttered really quick= ly. In KDE 3,=20 virtual desktops were great for that. I had one desktop dedicated to email= , one to IM, one=20 to a web browser, one to programming homework, and one to other homework (p= apers=20 and the like). Each desktop had different launchers on the panel, and diff= erent=20 superkaramba widgets (I think - this was more than 10 years ago, so if that= was never a=20 feature, forgive me). =46or Plasma 4, it lost the ability to have different panels per VD, but it= did (eventually) allow=20 different plasmoids per VD, so a lot of my panel customizations moved to la= uncher=20 plasmoids. But I also expanded my desktop model from KDE 3 to use activitie= s. So for=20 example, I had a =E2=80=9Cgeneral=E2=80=9D activity with a desktop for my e= mail, and a desktop for general=20 web browsing, etc. And then a =E2=80=9Cdevelopment=E2=80=9D activity which= had a desktop for my IDE,=20 and a desktop for file transfers, and desktop for dev related web browsing = (stack overflow,=20 documentation, etc.) But that had short-comings. The number of virtual desktops was fixed, so i= n order to have=20 enough for one activity, I had too many for others. Then Plasma 5 came along, and desktops all had to share the same plasmoids.= And=20 everything continued to share the same panels. So in order to keep separat= e launchers=20 and plasmoids per desktop, I switched to many activities with a single desk= top each, and=20 keep them open in groups. So my web browser, email, and console activities= are pretty=20 much always running, while my office work activity, game activity, and deve= lopment=20 activities start and stop. And then to save my sanity, I wrote an activity = system tray=20 plasmoid to allow fast switching between activities. So the features I'd like to see ideally would be =E2=80=9Cactivity as a log= ical grouping of virtual=20 desktops.=E2=80=9D In my perfect world, I could have say, 13 virtual deskt= ops, divided unevenly=20 across 4 activities. Each desktop could have different plasmoids and panel= s. And=20 plasmoids and panels could be pinned like windows, so they could be attache= d to a single=20 desktop, or shared across them (including across desktops on different acti= vities). I'm=20 sure that's not easy, but it's my 2 cents. =2D--Tim --nextPart5252735.ekVGHvDUSQ Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Content-Type: text/html; charset="UTF-8"

On Thursday= , July 12, 2018 4:36:02 PM CDT Michail Vourlakos wrote:

> 2018-0= 7-12 17:43 GMT+03:00 Marco Martin <notmart@gmail.com>:

> As a p= lasma user I am a [Multiple Activities and 1 VD] user so I am get used

> in tha= t workflow and I wouldnt like to miss it :)

> I have= in my mind without any

> study = but only based on the personal communication, the users are separated

> like

> this:<= /p>

> [A] - = 75% (1 Activity + Multiple VDs)

> [B] - = 20% (Multiple Activities + 1 VD)

> [C] - = 5% (Multiple Activities + Multiple Desktops)

&nb= sp;

I just lurk= here, but as a long time user of KDE and Plasma, I've fallen into all thre= e categories at one time or another in the last 15 years, so I feel like I = might have a perspective that's worth while.

&nb= sp;

Of course, = in KDE 3, before activities were introduced, I fell into A, since that was = the only option. I spent a fair bit of time in category C during Plasma 4, = but with Plasma 5, but I've now converted to category B. I'd love to go ba= ck to C, but it's so inconvenient.

&nb= sp;

I have a si= ngle monitor (on a laptop) so windows get cluttered really quickly. In KDE = 3, virtual desktops were great for that. I had one desktop dedicated to em= ail, one to IM, one to a web browser, one to programming homework, and one = to other homework (papers and the like). Each desktop had different launch= ers on the panel, and different superkaramba widgets (I think - this was mo= re than 10 years ago, so if that was never a feature, forgive me).

&nb= sp;

For Plasma = 4, it lost the ability to have different panels per VD, but it did (eventua= lly) allow different plasmoids per VD, so a lot of my panel customizations = moved to launcher plasmoids. But I also expanded my desktop model from KDE = 3 to use activities. So for example, I had a =E2=80=9Cgeneral=E2=80=9D acti= vity with a desktop for my email, and a desktop for general web browsing, e= tc. And then a =E2=80=9Cdevelopment=E2=80=9D activity which had a desktop = for my IDE, and a desktop for file transfers, and desktop for dev related w= eb browsing (stack overflow, documentation, etc.)

&nb= sp;

But that ha= d short-comings. The number of virtual desktops was fixed, so in order to = have enough for one activity, I had too many for others.

&nb= sp;

Then Plasma= 5 came along, and desktops all had to share the same plasmoids. And every= thing continued to share the same panels. So in order to keep separate lau= nchers and plasmoids per desktop, I switched to many activities with a sing= le desktop each, and keep them open in groups. So my web browser, email, a= nd console activities are pretty much always running, while my office work = activity, game activity, and development activities start and stop. And the= n to save my sanity, I wrote an activity system tray plasmoid to allow fast= switching between activities.

&nb= sp;

So the feat= ures I'd like to see ideally would be =E2=80=9Cactivity as a logical groupi= ng of virtual desktops.=E2=80=9D In my perfect world, I could have say, 13= virtual desktops, divided unevenly across 4 activities. Each desktop coul= d have different plasmoids and panels. And plasmoids and panels could be p= inned like windows, so they could be attached to a single desktop, or share= d across them (including across desktops on different activities). I'm sur= e that's not easy, but it's my 2 cents.

&nb= sp;

---Tim

<= /body> --nextPart5252735.ekVGHvDUSQ--