List:       kde-panel-devel
Subject:    Re: Discussion for Virtual Desktops and Activities future
From:       Ivan Čukić <ivan.cukic () kde ! org>
Date:       2018-07-04 11:49:31

> I think this is a fair recap so far:

The recap sounds great.

> When Martin and I started talking about the
> Wayland protocol, we
> were keen to do work that would reusable
> for either use case. This

I especially like this part. As I said, merging the implementation (at \
least to some extent) is a great idea.

> I think it's a reality that we have users who
> use both together, [...]

Yes, we have users that do that, we have users that only use one or the \
other, and we have users that don't use either.

It is the same with any more advanced feature we have. We give users the \
choice, and the users are smart enough to pick what they need.

We have several launchers, some use multiple ones, some a single one, and \
some don't use a launcher.

> It's also reality that we have critics who
> complain the two are
> redundant and it's all a big mess.

This part I don't care about. I care about users, not critics. Trolls will \
always find something to complain about.

> It's not a surprise to me that the idea of
> merging them has come up,

I'm not surprised either, the same idea has been popping up every few \
years.

The problem with it is that the proposals are usually about modelling a \
particular person's view of activities.

> It does mean
> being willing to take some people's existing
> workflows away, though.

I'm not willing. It goes against Plasma design principle of 'simple by \
default, powerful when needed'.

I'm all for designing a new UI for all of this (though I'd like to see it \
based on the current one which I find quite pretty :) ) which would \
communicate clearly what activities are for and what VDs are for.

> I also think merging has technical risks, e.g.

Not only the speed. It would also make problems for the Plasma - the \
current activities design is quite baked in the underlying organisation of \
the shell. What would this change require, and how would it handle \
different behaviours on X11 and Wayland which was mentioned in Phab.

> e.g. the VDG's
> mulled Activity overview/dashboard thingie.

This thing https://cukic.co/2014/07/01/just-a-teaser/ ?

Cheers,
Eike