Am 2018-07-03 18:05, schrieb Aleix Pol: > On Tue, Jul 3, 2018 at 6:02 PM Martin Flöser > wrote: >> >> Am 2018-07-03 14:45, schrieb Aleix Pol: >> > Dear kwiners, >> > Would it be possible to find a way to do so? >> > >> > I know we don't want windows to be positioning themselves willy-nilly >> > on the window stack, but we certainly need to figure out his use-case. >> > >> > What would need to happen to do this? >> > >> > If you need to, I can compile a list of use-cases. >> >> Hi Alex, >> >> this really depends on the use case. Instead of allowing general >> raising >> I would prefer to make the workflows work correctly. E.g. if you want >> that the polkit authentication dialog is above discover we can make >> this >> work right now without needing to implement window raising. >> >> Cheers >> Martin > > That's not the use-case. > > A use-case is I was using Discover, someone pressed > appstream://org.kde.kate and wants to install it. Discover changes but > doesn't go into the foreground. > Similarly, we want the web browser to raise after we've pressed a URL > on an app. > Another thing I keep hitting: I open telegram or konversation on > krunner, nothing happens. It's because it's open somewhere under my > current window. Ok, that's all the same pattern: we have an action in application A which should activate (and raise) application B. First of: KWin should prevent application B to activate. This is only working because we don't have focus stealing prevention for Wayland windows yet. If we had focus stealing prevention, it would kick in and prevent application B from activating. The solution to this is a mechanism to pass activation around through a side channel. Application A would need to create a token before activating B and pass the token to B. B would use this token towards the compositor and the compositor would be able to allow the request as it sees that application A passed the focus to application B. That kind of matches what startup notifications used to be on X11. This is basically https://phabricator.kde.org/T4448 Ideally this needs to be standardized so that it does not only work with our applications but with any. Cheers Martin