List:       kde-panel-devel
Subject:    D13277: Turn off the extended resize handle/black triangle when there are no borders
From:       Roman Gilg <noreply () phabricator ! kde ! org>
Date:       2018-06-03 17:36:46

romangg added a comment.

  In D13277#273061 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D13277#273061>, @hpereiradacosta \
wrote:
  > Now, no there is no reason not to turn it off by default, except that it will \
piss people relying on it (and now they will have to look for the option for turning \
it on again).

  That's not a good reason against changing a default. Otherwise we could never \
change one.
  > On the other hand I have seen no good reason, not to keep it on by default \
either. (might have missed them though).
  A good reason to remove this handle is that it paints over application content. \
Although it's only a very small area it does cover for example quite a large area of \
the lower scroll bar button in Chrome:  F5888233: Screenshot_20180603_180754.png \
<https://phabricator.kde.org/F5888233>  In general indiscriminatorily changing client \
content presentation is bad practice, therefore I would even remove the option for \
the handle entirely or disallow it on a KWin level. Maybe it's this way already in \
the Wayland session (didn't test it there).
  > "this is ugly" (a word which I hear more and more these days and really come to \
dislike).
  You are right, that just saying something looks ugly is not a sufficient reasoning \
for a design change. But from what I've seen in the infamous "No window borders" \
task, which you were probably hinting at, the VDG also brought forward more \
sophisticated arguments in general. Besides that several devs chimed in saying that \
they change to "No Borders" all the time because they like it more. I for one never \
changed, because I don't care about such small details in the design. But having the \
borders removed now for testing purposes, I have to say it does look nice and I do \
think it leads to a better overall look of our default desktop (at least as long as \
the shadows are on, without them it's difficult to know where a window begins and \
where it ends -> that issue should be discussed in the task, but it's only a real \
problem on X where compositing can be turned off).
  > I am tired of arguing.

  Why do these discussions tire you? Our design can't stand still forever. If it's \
because the VDG proposed design changes somewhat hastily and without a grand concept \
behind them in the first half of this year: I agree. But look where we were coming \
from: the VDG was in complete disarray at the end of last year providing only minimal \
output. So we started at an absolute low point at the beginning of the year but I \
would say mostly thanks to the work of a few individuals, to whom I definitely count \
Nate, the VDG organisation and work output already got definitely better. And it will \
hopefully get substantially better when we can work out the remaining tasks of our \
HIG project, in particular T7983 <https://phabricator.kde.org/T7983>. I \
wholeheartedly invite you to contribute to it with your experience as Breeze \
maintainer.
  There are other organisational measures, that could be discussed to improve the \
internal structure of the VDG and their cooperation with us devs, but for now I'm \
already very happy with the current progress.

REPOSITORY
  R31 Breeze

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D13277

To: ngraham, #vdg, #breeze, #plasma, abetts, romangg
Cc: hpereiradacosta, romangg, plasma-devel, ragreen, Pitel, ZrenBot, lesliezhai, \
ali-mohamed, jensreuterberg, abetts, sebas, apol, mart