List:       kde-panel-devel
Subject:    [Differential] [Commented On] D4838: [Notifications] Add context menu for thumbnail
From:       Thomas Pfeiffer <noreply () phabricator ! kde ! org>
Date:       2017-03-01 13:55:41

colomar added a comment.

  > Okay, personal opinion on why split buttons are among the most horrible things \
related to UX:  >  (And whilst some of these points might not apply to this very \
specific use case here: they will elsewhere, and once one component users this \
button, others will too, see e.g. spectacle)  >
  > - They are very prone to accidental clicks. If you  want to click the (little) \
arrow but hit the button instead, worst case you get an undoable, destructive action. \
This gets a lot worse with touch.

  1. You should not use a split button with the main button performing a destructive \
action, of course.  2. Plasma Desktop is not optimized for touch input, Plasma Mobile \
certainly would not not use them. And as you say yourself below, a context menu does \
not work for touch, either.
  > - They are horrible for handicapped people. Screen readers usually don't handle \
them properly, so these people are only aware of one action, and might not be able to \
see the others
  How do context menus work with screen readers?

  > - They are horrible for keyboard based navigation (see above on not applying for \
this very specific use case): which button presses them? Which one opens then?
  Split buttons are usually used in toolbars, which are never good for keyboard \
navigation. That's what menu bars are for.
  > - Space. These buttons have text on them, text that is translatable and might be \
a lot bigger in e.g. German.  The buttons in notifications already suffer from this \
(e.g. bluetooth received files, in German) and it only gets worse if you add multiple \
options and an additional arrow
  Is that arrow really taking up that much space?

  > - They would obviously not work well with multiple items as per the example \
above, if you e.g. wanted item specific actions
  As I said: Neither does the simple button. The split button wouldn't be the one \
crrating the problem. And it would not _replace_ the context menu, either.
  > What would work are either context menus as proposed  (touch is going to be meh \
though, as I just learned that we can't properply do long press anywere) or a button \
that only has the purpose of opening a menu, e.g.: hamburger button.
  Nobody said anything against the context menus, the split button would just be an \
additional, more discoverable means to access the functions.

REPOSITORY
  R120 Plasma Workspace

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D4838