List:       kde-panel-devel
Subject:    Re: Phabricator: All repositories registered - upcoming workflow changes
From:       René_J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin () gmail ! com>
Date:       2017-01-31 19:35:34

On Tuesday January 31 2017 20:10:42 Luigi Toscano wrote:

> > It will be a complete shutdown of Reviewboard - we'll be archiving it
> > in the event for some reason it becomes necessary to access the data
> > it stores.
>
> Isn't it a way to change the site in static website and keep it alive?
> Checking the history of a review can tell a lot. Also for discarded reviews.

I'd vote for that too, because

> > In most cases mailing lists should have the history of reviews in
> > their archives, so those will continue to be accessible through list
> > archives in the long run.

That is true for the reviews, but not for the patches themselves. In my experience \
you get at most the extract reviewers commented on, and that was usually only a \
single line.

It can also be very useful to look at older versions of reviews. That kind of history \
isn't available elsewhere, at least not without significant digging around. What also \
doesn't help is the fact that the email notifications that are archived via mailing \
lists each contain a big part if not the entire review/comment history.

Keeping the website alive as a read-only resource also makes it possible to download \
patchfiles and other resources that were added to reviews (which are *not* available \
via mailing list archives). And last but not least: knowing myself I'm quite likely \
(and surely not the only one) to forget transfering open reviews to Phabricator \
before the transition is supposed to be final.

In fact, even if no one forgets a single outstanding RR until it's too late, are we \
supposed to copy all review comments, or are reviewers supposed to take to mailing \
list archives to consult the review history? Both options aren't really acceptable if \
you ask me so unless there's an automatic transfer+conversion process this seems like \
an important argument to keep the reviewboard site around.

R.