List:       kde-panel-devel
Subject:    Re: Plasma shell -> Mediacenter
From:       Shantanu Tushar Jha <shantanu () kde ! org>
Date:       2014-07-20 5:58:12

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Hi,

On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 2:16 PM, Marco Martin <notmart@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Saturday 12 July 2014, Shantanu Tushar Jha wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > The frameworks branch of PMC now contains a Plasma Shell which basically
> > loads the required QML components and looks/works exactly the same[1]. So
> > technically we are good to go if a user wants her desktop to be a media
> > center.
> >
> > However, it'll be nice if we can discuss on how the actual workflow could
> > be for a user. Here are some things I can imagine-
> >
> > * User can have a mediacenter activity which she can switch to for
> getting
> > the multimedia experience.
>
> I'm not sure how much it can work as activity,
> if you want that tough most o the mediacenter UI QML should be moved in  a
> single containment (that may be good as well) while now is iirc mostly in
> the
> view of the desktop package

Do you mean that the current implementation won't support it, or the idea
itself is not good?

> > * Or, maybe she can configure the mediacenter shell to activate whenever
> an
> > external TV screen is connected (through HDMI or something).
>
> it could either switch the shell or just launch the standalone application
> (launching the application should be easy, maybe configurable from kscreen
> kcm?)

Or, maybe plasmashell exposes a D-Bus API that can load shells on the fly?

+1 for the kscreen kcm, I think it should be a nice feature in general.

> > * The device is a dedicated mediacenter device - the user tells Plasma to
> > always load mediacenter instead of deskop
>
> I think there should eventually be a session shipped by it so is just
> possible
> to login into it from the login manager

Guess the session will always run the same startkde script, how can we tell
plasmashell (rhymes :P) what to load?

> --
> Marco Martin

Shantanu Tushar    (UTC +0530)