List:       kde-panel-devel
Subject:    Re: An alternative for XEmbed
From:       Àlex Fiestas <afiestas () kde ! org>
Date:       2014-04-15 16:14:50

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 15 April 2014 15:30:44 Matthias Klumpp wrote:
 > It's more for putting pressure on the developers, I guess. If there is
> an easily accessible workaround, developers will not switch to a
> modern solution quickly, because a workaround is trivial to do for the
> users.
> Also, users don't put pressure on e.g. vendors of proprietary applications.
> What might make sense is that the distributor installs this stuff
> automatically in case some application is installed which won't ship
> without XEmbed stuff in the near future.
> It would be interesting to know how many apps would be affected by
> missing XEmbed-systray. If it's not many, adding and easy workaround
> is IMHO not a good idea. If there are more of these apps, I think
> adding your solution temporarily would make seome sense indeed.
> Cheers,
>     Matthias

I agree with you, somebody should do an analysis of how things are right now
and put all the documentation on a wiki page so we can come out with the best
solution.

Another thing to take into account is that there are patches for gtk2/3 + qt4
to use statusnotifier (by Ubuntu) and future version of Qt will use
statusnotifier as well, meaning that given the correct environment we should be
mostly fine.

Thing is, I don't think anybody has even documented how to setup that
environment (my wiki search skills suck).

Cheers.