List:       kde-panel-devel
Subject:    Re: Release schedule for Plasma Next
From:       Sebastian =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=FCgler?= <sebas () kde ! org>
Date:       2014-01-29 14:53:21

On Wednesday, January 29, 2014 15:52:38 Eike Hein wrote:
> On Wednesday 29 January 2014 13:52:43 Sebastian K=FCgler wrote:
> > What do you think?
> =

> I'd like to propose:
> =

> * Renaming Beta 1 to "Alpha", mostly to hedge our bets on expectation
>   management. I realize we haven't been using Alpha for the KDE 4 SC
>   schedules lately, but Plasma Next isn't in "always summer in trunk"
>   mode just yet. Reintroducing the Alpha milestone or not might mean
>   making a decision between garnering goodwill and optimizing for
>   tester uptake, but I feel like doing it would be the right thing
>   both for the goodwill factor and also to ramp up tester uptake and
>   thus public bug reporting more slowly than jumping right from a
>   Tech Preview into Beta.

+1

> * Adding a week or so between feature freeze and Alpha (aka Beta 1)
>   for integration in case anything lands late. =

Let's aim for one week, we can delay the Alpha if need be, but realisticall=
y, =

we should only integrate things that are really done. Ways to make the post-
feature-freeze week not cause havoc:

- test other people's branches that are close to merge
- help reviewing code
- fix bugs that you notice right away, if possible

With that, we can aim for 1 week between freeze and Alpha, but we can choos=
e =

to run out in case of showstoppers (and do that in "stop-the-line-we-need-t=
o-
fix-this-now" mode.

Cheers,
-- =