List:       kde-panel-devel
Subject:    Re: Reshuffling startup to start activity manager after ksmserver
From:       Simon Persson <simonpersson1 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-05-26 4:24:17

On Saturday, May 25, 2013 7:33:40 PM ICT, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Saturday, May 25, 2013 17:38:49 Simon Persson wrote:
> > So much for the background, now the problem:
> > I wanted to use the "restore manually saved session" option of
> > ksmserver in
> > order to always start the "Welcome" activity and nothing else. But
>
> Instead of building a serialized startup order between kamd and ksmserver,
> perhaps it makes sense to make kamd aware of these settings and
> Do The Right
> Thing(tm) itself, e.g. be able to set an activity as the one to always start

I would say that the right thing (what I as a user would expect to happen) is that \
clicking "save session" in the kickoff menu would save which activity is currently \
active and which other ones are also running so that can be restored at login. I just \
had another idea.. perhaps it could be possible to add a dbus-exported \
"saveYourself()" slot to kamd and have ksmserver call that slot at the same as it \
calls all the session clients via ICE.

I have also realized that kamd is started by whoever first calls a constructor in \
libkactivities. That means even if we would move all current consumers of the kamd \
service (from the core kde releases) to start after ksmserver nothing stops third \
party kamd-consumers to be added by users. Therefore my idea above is currently my \
best suggestion for a fix.

Simon